Tuesday, May 19, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

Court Refuses to Grant Immunity to Manchester Arena Bomber’s Brother

June 13, 2021
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A court declined to grant the older brother of the Manchester Arena bomber immunity from prosecution if he testifies in front of a public inquiry, according to The Independent.

Ismail Abedi denies knowing about or being involved in the attack on May 22nd, 2017, but has so far refused to participate with the investigation, citing legal privilege against self-incrimination.

Salman Abedi, his brother, exploded a suicide bomb amid a crowd of Ariana Grande fans and relatives waiting to pick them up, killing 22 people and injuring hundreds more. Hashem Abedi, another brother, was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the ISIS-claimed attack.

Ismail Abedi requested that the public inquiry obtain assurance from the attorney general that any evidence he provides will not be used against him in future criminal cases.

In his ruling, Sir John said allowing immunity to get Abedi to co-operate did not outweigh the potential effects on the administration of justice.

“If as a result of an undertaking from the Attorney General, the applicant was to disclose material to the inquiry which provided evidence to justify charges of murder or conspiracy to murder, then he could avoid trial for 22 murders and causing serious injury to many more,” he said.

“While less serious, if he were to disclose material… which evidenced a failure by him to disclose information to the authorities which could have prevented the bombing happening, a failure to prosecute would be considered by many to be a considerable affront to justice.”

Abedi is expected to be served with a legal notice soon which will “require” his attendance in person at the inquiry and while he will be entitled not to answer questions on the grounds of self-incrimination, he will have to justify why and on what grounds he is refusing to answer.

Tags: Ismail AbedilibyaManchesterManchester bombing
Next Post

Libyan Prime Minister Urges Health Sector to Raise Salaries

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Bashagha Asks Libya’s Central Bank to Revalue Libyan Dinar Against Foreign Currency

German Ships Urged to Avoid Libyan Waters

ICC Approves 17 Charges Against Libyan Suspect Over Mitiga Prison Crimes

Libyan Court Clears Former Gaddafi Officials Of Charges Linked To 2011 Unrest

Libya Rejects Migrant Resettlement During Rome Migration Talks

Italian Appeals Court Releases Libyan Prisoner

EDITOR PICKS

Libya Coordinates With Sudan on Voluntary Return Plans

Libya Rejects Migrant Resettlement During Rome Migration Talks

German Ships Urged to Avoid Libyan Waters

ICC Approves 17 Charges Against Libyan Suspect Over Mitiga Prison Crimes

Libyan Officers Continue Training at Jordan Police Academy

Libyan War Crimes Suspect Faces ICC Hearing Tomorrow

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR