Friday, August 29, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

SOHR Says Syrian Fighters Refusing To Fight in Libya

June 2, 2020
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

According to reports, a state of disobedience is prevailing among the ranks of Syrian fighters sent by the Turkish government to Libya.

They were sent to support the forces of the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), led by Fayez Al Sarraj, which is backed by the United Nations.

On Tuesday, Sky News quoted a report by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) which stated that Syrian fighters have refused to be recruited to fight in Libya.

This is due to the rising number of casualties among their ranks during clashes with the Libyan National Army (LNA), which is led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar.

Another reason for not wanting to fight in Libya is Turkey’s alleged failure to pay the $2,000 monthly salary promised at recruitment.

The Observatory claims that the Syrians believed they have been tricked, as they were told that they would be facing Russian forces in Libya. Russia is a major ally of Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad.

Turkey is thought to be pressuring the commanders of Turkish-backed Syrian militias to send more fighters to Libya.

Up to 339 Syrian fighters have been killed in in Libya so far, including 20 child soldiers, according to data collected by the SOHR.

Hundreds of fighters have recently been transferred from training camps in Turkey to Libya.

The SOHR had announced that approximately 11,600 Syrian fighters are currently in Libya.

The number of recruits in Turkish training camps, amounts to approximately 2,500.

Ankara continues to escalate its involvement in the Libyan conflict by supporting the GNA. This comes despite Turkey participating and agreeing to uphold the UN arms embargo on Libya, most recently at the Berlin Conference in January 2020.

Tags: FightinglibyaRefusesohrSyrian MercenariesTurkey
Next Post

British Embassy in Libya Welcomes The Resumption of Libyan Ceasefire Talks

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

Libya’s Coast Guard Accused of Firing on Humanitarian Rescue Ship

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Hannibal Gaddafi Demands Justice After a Decade of “Unlawful” Detention in Lebanon

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

New Cement Project to Produce 12,000 Tonnes Daily in Libya’s Nalut

EDITOR PICKS

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Brazilian Exports to Libya Reach 422 Million Dollars

Fuel Shortages Force Bakery Closures in Libya’s Zliten

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR