Friday, August 29, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Trump Welcomes Egypt’s Peace Initiative in Libya

June 11, 2020
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Wednesday, Egyptian President Abdel Fatah El-Sisi held a telephone conversation with U.S. President Donald Trump to discuss a number of issues, including the crisis in Libya.

In a statement, the official spokesman for the Egyptian President, Bassam Rady, said that the two leaders exchanged views over current developments in Libya.

This is in light of the new peace initiative announced by Cairo.

President Trump welcomed Egypt’s proposal for a ceasefire in Libya. He noted that it
aimed to achieve a political settlement, bring an end to hostilities, and enforce the will of the Libyan people by achieving security and stability.

The phone call also tackled enhancing strategic bilateral relations between the two countries.

The latest developments with the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) project and the relevant tripartite negotiations were also discussed.

Egypt had previously called for a ceasefire that would have begun on Monday, as part of the latest international initiative to resolve the Libyan crisis.

The Cairo Declaration, as it is known, also proposed a newly elected Presidential Council for the country and a roadmap to elections with UN oversight.

Earlier on Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo welcomed the resumption of
talks led by the United Nations and urged speedy negotiations to achieve a ceasefire.

“The agreement between the Government of National Accord (GNA), and the Libyan National Army (LNA) to re-enter UN security talks was a good first step, very positive”, Pompeo said in a news conference.

“Quick and good-faith negotiations are now required to implement a ceasefire and relaunch the UN led intra-Libyan political talks,” he added.

On 2 June, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) announced that Libya’s warring parties had agreed to resume ceasefire talks.

Tags: EgyptInitiativelibyapeaceTrumpUSA
Next Post

UNSMIL Praises LNA-GNA Commitment To 5+5 Joint Military Talks

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Italy’s Senate to Finalise Prisoner Agreement with Libya

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

Libya Joins OIC Ministerial Meeting on Gaza

EDITOR PICKS

Libyan & Italian Lawmakers Meet in Rimini to Discuss Political Dialogue

EU Highlights Need for Closer US Coordination on Libya

Libya Warns of Power Strain as Temperatures Surge in East

Italy’s Senate to Finalise Prisoner Agreement with Libya

Libya Joins OIC Ministerial Meeting on Gaza

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR