Friday, August 29, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

War-Stricken Libyan Ambulance Workers Now Confront Pandemic

September 13, 2020
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

As the epidemic of Covid-19 began to surge in August, Libyan ambulance workers confronted a nightmare scenario with skyrocketing cases and dwindling resources to treat them.

The 35-year-old Hamza Abdulrahman Jelwal, who is a supervising nurse at a quarantine centre in Misrata, has not seen his family since Libya’s lockdown started in March. Worse, he has not been paid for his services, Reuters reported. As a result, staff has started to quit because of non-payment of salaries.

Hospitals and clinics also lack adequate material to face the epidemic. There are few ventilators and little other equipment. State funding, regularly hit by shortfalls and delays, has been particularly disrupted this year because of a blockade on oil exports imposed by the Libyan National Army and its allies.

Jelwal tested positive for Covid-19 in August and was quarantined in the same centre. Now he is better and returned to work.

“We work 12 hours a day. It is very tiring for medical staff because there is no rest,” he said.

His experience underscores the high stakes and growing difficulties for Libyan ambulance workers as the number of confirmed cases spikes. Figures have climbed quickly from a few hundred last month to almost around 20,000 at this time.

Stephanie Williams, the United Nations’ Acting Libya Envoy, has told the Security Council that the real number of cases in Libya is almost certainly far higher and that the health system is “unable to respond.”

SHORTAGES AND DELAYS

Despite preventive measures, an outbreak started in July in the southern city of Sebha. Some local people claim that the outbreak was due to the return of Libyans who were flown back home after being stranded abroad.

The virus then spread to Tripoli and Misrata, which are controlled by the Government of National Accord. In eastern Libya, which is controlled by Khalifa Haftar, the city of Benghazi also became a coronavirus cluster.

Tags: AmbulanceCorona VirusCovid-19libyawar
Next Post

Protesters Set Government Headquarters on Fire In Benghazi

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

Libya’s Coast Guard Accused of Firing on Humanitarian Rescue Ship

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Hannibal Gaddafi Demands Justice After a Decade of “Unlawful” Detention in Lebanon

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

New Cement Project to Produce 12,000 Tonnes Daily in Libya’s Nalut

EDITOR PICKS

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Brazilian Exports to Libya Reach 422 Million Dollars

Fuel Shortages Force Bakery Closures in Libya’s Zliten

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR