Thursday, February 19, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Deports over 200 Migrants

November 25, 2022
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Thursday, Libya deported more than 200 migrants across its land borders, to their countries of origin.

According to Nasser Al-Khatroushi, Head of the Deportation Office of the Anti-illegal Immigration Department, the migrants, who consisted of 105 Egyptians, 101 Chadians, and 20 Sudanese, were deported by land to their countries.

The operation was organized by the Interior Ministry of Prime Minister Abdel-Hamid Dbaiba’s Tripoli-based government, whose authority is contested by a rival administration in Libya’s east.

But a deal with authorities there, and in the south enabled coordination of the expulsions.

War-ravaged Libya is a conduit for thousands of people each year fleeing conflict and poverty across Africa, seeking refuge across the Mediterranean in Europe.

Most enter via the country’s vast southern borders in the Sahara desert.

Police Spokesman, General Ahmad Abu Kraa said holding centers for detained migrants had become “overwhelmed, which is creating a lot of problems”.

Libya is regularly criticized for its treatment of migrants, with rights groups alleging horrific treatment at the hands of trafficking gangs and inside state-run detention centers.

Authorities and armed groups operating under state auspices have repeatedly been accused of torture, rape, and other abuses.

The United Nations had previously handled the repatriation of refugees from Libya. The deal between authorities in the west, east, and south has enabled the Anti-illegal Immigration Agency to work in a unified way across the country.

According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), a total of 20,842 migrants, including women and children, have been rescued at sea and returned to Libya this year.

500 migrants have died, and 863 others have gone missing off the Libyan coast, the IOM said.

Tags: Abdel-Hamid DbaibaInternational Organization for MigrationIOMlibyamigrantsmigration
Next Post

Amr Moussa: NATO's Intervention Violated Libya's Sovereignty

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Storming of Tripoli HQ Sparks Fresh Crisis in Libya’s Judiciary

Reform or Delay? Dbaiba’s Cabinet Shake-Up Raises Fresh Questions Over Libya’s Elections

EU’s Operation Irini Deepens Coast Guard Training Partnership with Libya

UN Sounds Alarm Over Libya’s Deepening Political & Judicial Divide

Dbaiba Under Fire as Benghazi Demands Transparency Over Public Funds

Libyan Judicial Team Flies to Ankara After Black Box Findings in Deadly Crash

EDITOR PICKS

Turkey Warns Greece–Chevron Agreement Undermines Libya’s Maritime Rights

US Links Military Integration to Libya’s Political Breakthrough

Dbaiba Under Fire as Benghazi Demands Transparency Over Public Funds

EU’s Operation Irini Deepens Coast Guard Training Partnership with Libya

UN Sounds Alarm Over Libya’s Deepening Political & Judicial Divide

Libya Ends Century-Long Battle With Trachoma, WHO Confirms

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR