Friday, August 29, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s HCS & Parliament Agree to Resume Dialogue

December 24, 2022
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Speaker of the Libyan Parliament, Ageela Saleh and Head of the High Council of State (HCS), Khaled Al-Mishri announced their agreement to revoke the establishment of new Constitutional Court law.

The two chambers said in a joint statement on Friday, that the step was taken in a move to “fulfill the constitutional entitlement, as a basis for the elections process.”

This decision came “out of a sense of national responsibility, and in appreciation of the current circumstances the country is going through.”

“This joint statement comes to reassure all political parties regarding the controversy over the Constitutional Court law,” the statement concluded.

Last week, Saleh called on the HCS to resume the constitutional dialogue, in order to reach an agreement on the outstanding articles, and end the political deadlock in the country.

The HCS has not yet commented on the Parliament’s request. It announced the suspension of all consultations with the Parliament until the law establishing the Constitutional Court in the city of Benghazi is revoked.

The official Spokesman for Parliament, Abdullah Blaihaig said Saleh called on the HCS to “resume dialogue to discuss the few remaining articles of the draft constitution.”

According to Blaihaig, Saleh stressed that the state is going through “a critical stage that requires everyone to give priority to their interests, to end the current deadlock.”

Last month, Al-Mishri has announced the suspension of talks between the two chambers, after Parliament approved the law establishing a Supreme Constitutional Court based in Benghazi.

Al-Mishri claimed that the Parliament “has no right to establish a constitutional court.” He added that the Parliament’s decision “destroys efforts to reach a consensus on the constitutional path, and deepens the institutional division in the country.”

The Prime Minister of Libya’s Government of National Unity (GNU), Abdel-Hamid Dbaiba stressed that he “will not step down from power until after a constitution is drawn up for the country, even if it takes 30 years.”

Tags: Ageela SalehHead of the High Council of State (HCS)Khaled Al-MishrilibyaResume DialogueSpeaker of the Libyan Parliament
Next Post

New Grain Shipment En Route to Libya

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

Libya’s Coast Guard Accused of Firing on Humanitarian Rescue Ship

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

Italy’s Senate to Finalise Prisoner Agreement with Libya

EDITOR PICKS

Libyan & Italian Lawmakers Meet in Rimini to Discuss Political Dialogue

EU Highlights Need for Closer US Coordination on Libya

Libya Warns of Power Strain as Temperatures Surge in East

Italy’s Senate to Finalise Prisoner Agreement with Libya

Libya Joins OIC Ministerial Meeting on Gaza

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR