Saturday, August 30, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Family of Lockerbie Suspect Demands Video Call

January 13, 2023
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The family of extradited Libyan national, Abu Ajila Masoud, have appealed to the US government to allow them to hold a video call, to check on his health. This coincides with the visit of the Director of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), William Burns to Libya.

In a statement, the family explained: “we are very concerned about his health and psychological condition, especially with the news that they have transferred him to hospital more than once.”

“Our demand is an inherent right that is guaranteed to us by all international declarations and covenants, concerned with human rights. We, as a family, have to raise our voices loudly after the doors were closed in our faces, and all our efforts to find a communication mechanism failed. Despite repeated attempts to communicate with several parties.”

According to the BBC, the family of the Lockerbie bombing suspect said he had nothing to do with the 1988 atrocity. The US alleges Masoud made the bomb that downed Pan Am flight 103 over the Scottish town. But his nephew said he was the victim of “trumped up charges.”

It follows reports that Masoud was abducted from his home in Tripoli, before being handed to the US earlier this month. Libya’s Attorney General has ordered a probe into his handover.

A disclosed document revealed that the former South African leader, Nelson Mandela told UK Prime Minister Tony Blair that it was “wrong to hold Libya legally responsible for the Lockerbie bombing,” The Guardian reported.

At a meeting in Downing Street in April 2001, Mandela said holding Libya legally responsible for the Lockerbie bombing “is against public international law.”

The then-UK government believed Mandela attempted to play mediator between it and Libyan leader, Muammar Gaddafi over the question of compensation after the Lockerbie bombing was “unlikely to be helpful.”

Tags: libyaLockebie SuspectLockerbieunited statesus
Next Post

Report: Violence CostIng Libya $1.54 Billion Annually

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

Italy’s Senate to Finalise Prisoner Agreement with Libya

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Libya Joins OIC Ministerial Meeting on Gaza

Libyan Parliament Calls for Withdrawal of All Foreign Forces from Libya

EDITOR PICKS

Libyan Parliament Calls for Withdrawal of All Foreign Forces from Libya

Libyan & Italian Lawmakers Meet in Rimini to Discuss Political Dialogue

EU Highlights Need for Closer US Coordination on Libya

Libya Warns of Power Strain as Temperatures Surge in East

Italy’s Senate to Finalise Prisoner Agreement with Libya

Libya Joins OIC Ministerial Meeting on Gaza

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR