Sunday, May 24, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s Attorney General: Security Forces behind Killing of Basketball Fan

May 25, 2023
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Libyan Attorney General’s Office announced the arrest of the killer of a young basketball fan, who was shot dead in the Head at a major game in Tripoli.

The office said in a statement that “the perpetrator is an employee of the Ministry of Interior, assigned to maintain security at the scene of the accident.”

The killer confessed to firing a bullet at the vehicle in which the victim, Abdul-Mohaimen Al-Falah, was travelling.

Another policeman has been arrested for covering up the crime. “He failed to produce any evidence denying responsibility,” the statement said.

The Prosecutor ordered the detention of the killer, and his fellow pending investigation.

According to the BBC, Al-Falah was fatally injured last week in a disturbance outside the arena following the Libyan Basketball League play-off between Al Ittihad and Al-Ahly Benghazi.

The 19-year-old was taken to Tunisia for treatment but died three days later.

A promising footballer, Al-Falah played for the youth team of second division Al Azima.

The high-profile nature of the death has prompted Prime Minister Abdel-Hamid Dbaiba to instruct the country’s Interior Ministry to find those responsible. The Libyan Olympic Committee has stressed the need for more professional security forces at major sports events.

Despite the country’s ongoing security crisis, which has seen a proliferation of firearms, the Libyan Basketball Federation is one of the few sports organizations that allows spectators to attend games.

The federation has now postponed all fixtures until next week, while Al Ittihad has used social media to announce the suspension of all club activities for three days.

The team’s supporters have been using the slogan “Keep your weapons away from our stadiums and our youth” in a bid to pressure the authorities to take such incidents more seriously.

Safety in Tripoli is continuously deteriorating, with threats of kidnapping and murder a daily occurrence for residents.

Tags: Attorney GeneralBasketballlibyaSecurity Forces
Next Post

Romanian National Detained in Libya 'Released'

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Turkey Expands Libya Influence Through Joint Military Drills

Libya Rejects Migrant Settlement Plans

Libya Foils Desert Smuggling Operation & Rescues 52 Migrants

Hundreds of Families Reunited as Libyan Army Releases Prisoners

ICC Refuses to Close Saif Al Islam Case

Will Libya Monitoring Mission IRINI Lose Its UN Mandate After Security Council Deadlock?

EDITOR PICKS

Six Sudanese Migrants Die During Smuggling Journey Through Libya

Libya Denies Ebola Cases as Health Surveillance Intensifies

Hundreds of Families Reunited as Libyan Army Releases Prisoners

Will Libya Monitoring Mission IRINI Lose Its UN Mandate After Security Council Deadlock?

ICC Refuses to Close Saif Al Islam Case

Turkey Expands Libya Influence Through Joint Military Drills

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR