Friday, August 29, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

France Concerned over Clashes in West Libya

May 31, 2023
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Wednesday, France expressed its concern about the recent armed clashes in the city of Al-Zawiya, West Libya.

The French Embassy in Libya said in a statement that “civilians are exposed to violence resulting from the clashes in Al-Zawiya.” It called on the Libyan authorities to “prevent any escalation,” reminding them of their “responsibility to ensure the safety of civilians.”

The statement also added that the recent events in Al-Zawiya underscore “the importance of unifying security and military institutions, in order to provide security and stability for all Libyan people across the country.”

On Tuesday, the United States expressed its concern about reports of weapons being used in civilian areas, and the potential for further violence in Libya.

In a statement issued on Monday, the US Embassy in Libya called on Libyan leaders to “do everything they can to de-escalate and take every precaution to protect the lives of civilians.”

Meanwhile, the UK Embassy in Libya said they are “closely tracking the situation in the city of Zawiya,” stressing that the “use of weapons that puts civilian lives at risk is unacceptable.” It urged all those involved to “de-escalate and avoid any actions that further threaten people’s daily lives.”

Last week, the Official Spokesman for the Government of National Unity (GNU), Mohamed Hammouda commented on the airstrikes that targeted various areas in Al-Zawiya. “This morning our national air force carried out successful and targeted airstrikes against a number of hideouts of fuel smuggling, drug, and human trafficking gangs in the western coast,” he said in media statements.

Hammouda added that the operation was “launched on the direct orders by Prime Minister Abdel-Hamid Dbaiba. These were part of a military plan to purge the areas along the west coast, and other sites of trafficking criminals and gangs.”

Earlier, Hammouda stressed that they “will continue the military operations until all objectives are achieved.”

The Deputy Head of the Council of Elders of Al-Zawiya, Jumaa Al-Jilani confirmed that two people were injured as a result of the drone strikes. The Ambulance and Emergency Service announced that one person was slightly injured, near the Sayeda Zainab area, south of Al-Zawiya.

Meanwhile, MP Ali Bouzraiba claimed that Turkish drones had conducted the airstrikes, by order of Dbaiba. Turkey is believed to control a number of military bases in western Libya, most notably the Al-Watiya airbase.

Tags: Armed ClashesfrancelibyaWest Libya
Next Post

Libya Praises Energy Cooperation with Italy

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

Italy’s Senate to Finalise Prisoner Agreement with Libya

Libya Joins OIC Ministerial Meeting on Gaza

EDITOR PICKS

Libyan & Italian Lawmakers Meet in Rimini to Discuss Political Dialogue

EU Highlights Need for Closer US Coordination on Libya

Libya Warns of Power Strain as Temperatures Surge in East

Italy’s Senate to Finalise Prisoner Agreement with Libya

Libya Joins OIC Ministerial Meeting on Gaza

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR