EU Welcomes Permanent Ceasefire Agreement in Libya

0
166

On Friday, the European Union welcomed a permanent ceasefire agreement signed by Libya’s warring parties. This is under the auspices of the United Nations, the EU’s Foreign Affairs Spokesman Peter Stano said.

Earlier on Friday, participants of Libya’s 5+5 Joint Military Commission (JMC) signed a ceasefire agreement, which entered into force immediately upon signing.

The acting UN envoy to Libya, Stephanie Williams, said Libyan rivals agreed to reopen land and air routes, as well as maintain the current state of calm on the front lines, and to avoid further military escalation. She confirmed that the Libyan parties had agreed that all foreign forces would leave within 90 days of the ceasefire agreement. This would be supervised by the UN.

Members of the Government of National Accord (GNA) and the Libyan National Army (LNA) also held their fourth round of negotiations in Geneva. “It’s good news, this announcement on the agreement on permanent ceasefire. We welcome this announcement, and we are pleased to hear that. Now, we’re waiting for more details,” Stano told in a press conference.