Sunday, February 22, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Greece Voices Dissatisfaction with Its Exclusion from Berlin Conference on Libya

June 4, 2021
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Thursday, Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias expressed his displeasure at the German choice to not invite Greece to the second Berlin Conference on Libya.

Speaking at the Second International Conference of Cultural Heritage, Dendias stressed that the priority of the summit must be the immediate departure of all foreign forces and mercenaries from Libya.

“Greece has a direct route of communication with Libya. Despite this, we are extremely disappointed that Germany, obsessively sticking to its strategy, did not invite us yet again to the Libya summit,” according to a statement released by Dendias on Twitter.

“We have reopened our Embassy, we have opened a Consulate in Benghazi, we have visited Libya,” he stressed.

Although Greece has been mostly uninvolved in Libya for the past decade, it was forced back into the quagmire when Turkey attempted to acquire Greek maritime area with the previous Government of National Accord (GNA).

Since then, Greece’s relationship with the interim Government of National Unity (GNU) has prospered. “Greece holds direct dialogue and communication with the Libyan side,” he said.

The countries that have been invited to the second round of peace talks include the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, along with Italy, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates, but not Greece or Egypt.

Despite Greece having the largest maritime border with Libya, and Egypt being a direct neighbour and stakeholder, Germany did not invite these two countries to the conference. “We are extremely dissatisfied with the fact that Germany, insisting on a tactic, did not invite us to this meeting again,” Dendias said, adding: “I have also expressed this dissatisfaction to my colleague.”

“I think that something like this will happen at the level of the Prime Minister, and I will soon meet with the envoy of the United Nations, Jan Kubis just to convey the same to him, although I know that he has no responsibility for the decision,” he concluded.

Tags: Berlin ConferenceForeign MinisterGreecelibyaNiko Dendias
Next Post

Libyan Army Arrest Al-Qaeda Militants in Southern Libya

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Libya Edges Toward Uncertainty as French Report Flags Rising Tensions

Former US National Security Adviser Sounds Warning on Libya

Cross-Border Threats Prompt Libya–Chad Security Partnership

Libya Faces Mounting Pressure as UN Seeks $1.6B for Sudan Displacement Crisis

Southern Libya Security Forces Seize Smuggling Vehicles in Al-Kufra

Targeted Killing in Al-Zawiya Raises Fears of Security Breakdown

EDITOR PICKS

Fuel Crunch Exposes Supply Flaws as Parliament Calls for Urgent Action

Eastern Libya Sees Fresh Deportations as Migration Controls Tighten

Southern Libya Security Forces Seize Smuggling Vehicles in Al-Kufra

Libya’s Digital Revolution: Banking App Users Surpass 4.2 Million

Former US National Security Adviser Sounds Warning on Libya

Libya Faces Mounting Pressure as UN Seeks $1.6B for Sudan Displacement Crisis

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR