Sunday, November 30, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan MP: Lebanon’s Crisis Will be Libya’s Fate If Elections Disrupted

October 16, 2021
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Libyan MP, Saeed Imgheib said that the presence of armed militias in Libya, especially those receiving foreign support threaten the safety and security of the country.

“The presence of militias in any country threatens civil peace at any moment. Stability will not be achieved for any country in which there are militias sponsored and supported by foreign countries under the cover of a government, whether it be called legitimate or consensual,” Imgheib said.

He added that elections are the only solution and the if they are obstructed, Libya would face the same fate as Lebanon. This is in reference to the recent clashes erupting in Beirut.

On Thursday, Head of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Libyan Parliament, Yousef Al-Agouri stressed the need for all foreign forces and mercenaries to leave the country.

In a virtual meeting with members of the Turkish National Assembly, Al-Agouri called on Ankara to play a positive role in withdrawing its forces from Libya. He also urged Turkey to work on creating the appropriate conditions for Libya’s stability, and ensuring the success of the upcoming elections.

Libya has been wracked by chaos since a NATO-backed uprising toppled longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 2011. A 2019 assault on Tripoli by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, Commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA) resulted in the introduction of mercenaries in Libya’s civil war.

Turkey supplied military personnel and equipment, as well as thousands of mercenaries from Syria to the former Government of National Accord (GNA) against the LNA. Ankara has refused to consider the departure of its military personnel and mercenaries, claiming they are covered by bilateral agreements with Libya.

Last month, UN Special Envoy to Libya, Jan Kubis said that starting the withdrawal of foreign fighters from the country would be a major step for Libya. The UN estimates that there were at least 20,000 foreign fighters and mercenaries in Libya, including Syrians, Sudanese, and Chadian nationals.

  • Libyan Parliament Demands Withdrawal Foreign Forces
  • Libyan Official Calls For Turkish Backed Mercenaries to Remain in Libya
  • When will Mercenaries in Libya Leave?
  • Lavrov: We Are Ready to Help Withdraw Foreign Troops from Libya
  • LNA: All Mercenaries will have Left Libya By End of 2021
Tags: LebanonLebanon CrisislibyaLibyan MPSaeed lmgheib
Next Post

British Court Rejects Appeal of “Libyan” Reading Attacker

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Trump Places Libya on Permanent US Immigration Ban List

Russian Military Plane Flies to Libya Through Turkish Airspace

Libyan PM Osama Hammad Backs Citizens’ Call for Swift Presidential Elections

Parliament Speaker Calls for Immediate Presidential Elections in Libya

Italy Looks to Expand Business in Libya

Libya Confirms Stadium List for New Football Season

EDITOR PICKS

Libya Confirms Stadium List for New Football Season

Libyan Airlines: Fleet Not Affected by Airbus Emergency Technical Directive

Sirte Oil Company Expands Vision at Benghazi Expo

ORF: Libya Faces Hidden Crisis Behind Oil Revenues

WFP Resumes Support for Sudanese Refugees in Libya

Russian Military Plane Flies to Libya Through Turkish Airspace

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR