Monday, February 16, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN Human Rights Team Meets Libya’s Abu Slim Massacre Families

July 21, 2022
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Human Rights and Rule of Law team of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) met with the Abu Slim victims’ association to discuss victim-centered transitional justice measures.

The families called for accountability for the 1996 mass killing of more than 1,200 detainees in Libya’s Abu Slim prison.

The UN team said that “ensuring accountability for this crime against humanity is critical for rights-based national reconciliation. It also sends a clear message to human rights violators in the fight against impunity in Libya.”

Earlier this month, the National Commission for Human Rights in Libya (NCHRL) called for an urgent health pardon for Gaddafi’s Intelligence Chief, Abdullah Al-Senussi, the main suspect of the massacre.

“Medical reports show that cancerous cells in the liver have reactivated. Al-Senussi also suffers from prostate cancer and lymphoma, which results in a decrease in the body’s immunity,” the NCHRL added.

The Commission called on the Ministry of Justice and UNSMIL to urgently intervene, in order to provide medical care to Al-Senussi.

Abdullah Al-Senussi, brother-in-law of longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi, was sentenced to death in 2015, alongside eight other senior officials. This was over his part in the regime’s response to the NATO-backed uprising in 2011.

The Abu Salim Prison massacre took place on 29 June 1996, allegedly killing about 1,269 prisoners, after an attempted prison break.

Last month, the Tripoli Court of Appeal referred Al-Senussi to the military judiciary over the Abu Salim case, his lawyer Ahmed Neshad said.

Al-Senussi was extradited in September 2012 by Mauritania, where he had fled after Gaddafi’s fall. Similarly to Gaddafi’s son Saif Al-Islam, he had also been the subject of an International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant for suspected war crimes during the 2011 uprising.

Tags: Abu SalimlibyaunUnited Nationsunsmil
Next Post

Malta to Begin Accepting Libyan Visa Applications

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Suicide Cases Climb in Libya Amid Lingering Conflict and Economic Strain

Stephanie Williams Accuses Libyan PM Dbaiba of “Lying”

Political Division & the Price of Fuel in Oil-Rich Libya

Benghazi Moves to Formalise Foreign NGO Presence Under New Regulatory Push

Benghazi Talks Signal Shift Toward Growth-Driven Unity in Libya

When Will the UN Release Libya’s Frozen Funds?

EDITOR PICKS

Libyan MP Links Food Inflation to Collapse of Public Institutions

Libya’s Central Bank Moves to Secure Cooking Oil Supplies Ahead of Ramadan

Libya Opens Door to British Investment in Strategic Benghazi Trade Zone

Libya & Sudan Deepen Ties as Thousands of Students Prepare for Exams in Benghazi

Turkey and Libya Deepen Coordination in Aftermath of Fatal Ankara Air Crash

Benghazi Talks Signal Shift Toward Growth-Driven Unity in Libya

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR