Ammunition Depot Explodes in West Libya


An explosion occurred late Wednesday night, at an ammunition depot situated within a military complex in Zliten, 160 km east of Tripoli.

The emergency response team of the Civil Protection and Emergency Department has announced the evacuation of the vicinity.

According to the team, the explosion, which resulted in damage to some houses and fires breaking out, did not cause any injuries, except for one individual who suffered mild smoke inhalation, due to the burning of his home.

The Zliten Municipality reassured the city’s residents that there were no injuries, and the area surrounding the explosion was evacuated.

The fire was extinguished by the National Safety Authority, the Emergency Medical Services, and security agencies within the city.

In a related context, the Deputy Prime Minister of the Government of National Unity (GNU) and the Acting Minister of Health, Ramadan Abu Janah ordered a state of emergency in the city.

On Tuesday, the National Committee for Human Rights in Libya (NCHRL) called for disarmament across the country.

The statement was made to coincide with Disarmament Week, which the United Nations has designated annually from 24-30 October.

The Committee announced that it has become a permanent observer member in the Global Alliance for the Reduction of Weapons. It further appealed for the assistance of international and UN mechanisms, specialising in disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration.

It emphasised that these efforts “contribute to promoting peace, social security, national security, and stability, as well as the prevention and resolution of armed conflicts.”

Libya has been marked by political instability and violent conflict since the fall of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in 2011. In the aftermath of the Arab Spring, Libya fell into a prolonged civil war, resulting in divided authorities, economic collapse, and a humanitarian crisis.

In February, Libyan security forces announced the seizure of “advanced and dangerous weapons” that were hidden in the desert, and due to be smuggled to Egypt.

The Director of the Tobruk Security Directorate in eastern Libya, said in a press briefing that the “weapons were seized in the southeastern region, in the village of Jaghbub, after we monitored suspicious movements in the region.”

He added that the weapons were confiscated, and called on citizens to “take advantage of the seven-day deadline granted by the Ministry of the Interior to hand over their weapons.”