Sunday, May 17, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Former Libyan Official: UN Efforts to Remove Mercenaries Paving Way for Elections

April 9, 2023
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The former Head of the Libyan National Security Committee, Abdel-Moneim Al-Yassir praised the efforts of the UN Envoy, Abdoulaye Bathily in the withdrawal of mercenaries and dismantling of militias.

In an interview with Al-Ghad TV, the former official said that Bathily played a prominent role in expelling mercenaries, and dismantling militias.

He explained that the removal of the mercenary forces from Libya comes within the framework of preparing for the elections.

Last week, Bathily called on the international community to support a coordinated process for the withdrawal of mercenaries and foreign fighters from Libya.

After he toured Libya’s neighbouring countries (Sudan, Chad, and Niger), Bathily noted the visit “was successful recognizing the challenges ahead, as there are various motivations behind the presence of these armed groups in Libya.” He explained that these motives are “economic, social, and sometimes political.”

He urged the international community to “support the withdrawal of these armed groups, including through the allocation of the necessary financial resources and technical assistance to avoid adverse impacts on the countries of origin.”

“A coordinated, sequenced, synchronized and balanced withdrawal of foreign fighters, foreign forces, and mercenaries from Libya, coupled with enhanced border security will contribute to peace, stability, constructive cooperation and prosperity in Libya and the region,” Bathily said.

“It will reduce the alarming rates of human trafficking, arms and drugs smuggling, illegal mining, and will help limit the movement of extremists,” he concluded.

Bathily said earlier that his tour was “part of the UN’s mandate to restore peace and stability in Libya, including through supporting the 5+5 Joint Military Committee (JMC) in the implementation of the ceasefire agreement.” This is notably the withdrawal of all foreign fighters, foreign forces, and mercenaries from Libya.

He added that the foreign presence in Libya “poses a critical risk to peace and stability in the country and the region. We need to work with our partners to address this challenge without negatively impacting Libya’s neighbouring countries.”

Next Post

Libyan Parliament Calls for Accountability for Gaddafi's Student Hangings

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Renewed Security Unrest Reported in Libyan Capital, Tripoli

Lieutenant General Saddam Haftar Hails Libya’s Fight against Terrorism

Libyan National Army Launches Largest Military Exercise

Can Libya’s New Border Strategy Reshape Sahel Security?

Libya Expands Military Diplomacy Through Moscow & Ankara Talks

Libya Receives Additional US Dollar Shipment To End Foreign Currency Shortages

EDITOR PICKS

Libya Fuel Crisis Concerns Grow Despite Official Denials

Libya Restores Operations at Sebha International Airport

Can Libya’s New Border Strategy Reshape Sahel Security?

Libya and Chad Strengthen Diplomatic Ties with Benghazi Consulate

Libya Receives Additional US Dollar Shipment To End Foreign Currency Shortages

Libyan National Army Launches Largest Military Exercise

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR