Sunday, May 24, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Was the Return of a Number of Syrian Mercenaries From Libya a “Turkish Ploy”?

March 25, 2021
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Thursday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) revealed that a state of growing anger and resentment prevailed among the Turkish-backed Syrian mercenaries in Libya, as their return to Syria has been suspended indefinitely.

On 21 March, 120 Syrian fighters, part of the Sultan Murad militia, were the latest batch of mercenaries to leave Libya. However, there is concern that the return of a few of the mercenaries was a Turkish media ploy, given that there are more than 6,630 mercenaries who remain deployed in Libya.

According to SOHR sources, Turkey intends to keep groups of Syrian fighters in Libya to protect Turkish bases. As well as claiming that many of the Syrians do not want to return home, but rather want to go to travel to Europe.

On 13 February, SOHR sources reported that the return of the Turkish-backed Syrian mercenaries had been completely suspended. Some of the mercenaries in Libya confirmed that they were not asked to prepare for their return. This comes despite the Libyan-led consensus and international demands for the departure of foreign forces from the North African country.

Tags: libyamercenariesPloyReturnSyrianTurkey
Next Post

Dbaiba Holds Talks with European Foreign Ministers in Libya

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Libya Says Ebola Situation Remains Stable Amid Regional Outbreak Concerns

ICC Warns Libya Over Failure to Arrest Suspects

Regional Push for Libya Elections Gains Momentum Amid Political Divisions

Libya Relaunches Historic Benghazi International Fair

Security Council Declines to Renew Legal Mandate for EU Naval Mission Irini Off Libya

British Envoy Points to Rebuilding Efforts as Libya Faces Political & Security Challenges

EDITOR PICKS

Libya Says Ebola Situation Remains Stable Amid Regional Outbreak Concerns

Regional Push for Libya Elections Gains Momentum Amid Political Divisions

Libya Relaunches Historic Benghazi International Fair

British Envoy Points to Rebuilding Efforts as Libya Faces Political & Security Challenges

ICC Warns Libya Over Failure to Arrest Suspects

Washington Reaffirms Support for Justice and Stability in Libya

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR