Tuesday, May 19, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan Guards Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor Migrants

June 20, 2021
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A Somali migrant teenager told the AFP that she was sexually assaulted by Libyan guards at the government-run centre in the Libyan capital Tripoli.

She and four other Somali teenagers who underwent similar abuses are pleading to be released from the Shara al-Zawiya detention centre. It is one of a network of centres run by Libya’s Department for Combating Illegal Immigration (DCIM), which is supported by the European Union (EU).

Smugglers and traffickers in Libya have long been notorious for brutalizing migrants. But rights groups and United Nations (UN) agencies say abuse also takes place in the official DCIM-run facilities.

“Sexual violence and exploitation are rife in several detention centers (for migrants) across the country,” Tarik Lamloum, a Libyan activist working with the Belaady Organization for Human Rights, told the AFP.

The UN refugee agency documented hundreds of cases of women raped while in either DCIM detention or traffickers’ prisons, with some even being impregnated by guards and giving birth during detention, said Vincent Cochetel, the agency’s special envoy for the Central Mediterranean.

At least two of the girls attempted to kill themselves in late May following alleged beatings and attempted rapes, according to local rights group Libyan Crime Watch and UN agencies.

The case of the teens in Shara al-Zawiya also renews questions about the EU’s role in the cycle of violence trapping migrants and asylum seekers in Libya. The EU trains, equips and supports the Libyan Coast Guard to intercept people trying to cross the Central Mediterranean to Europe. At least 677 people are known to have either died or gone missing taking this route on unseaworthy boats so far this year.

Nearly 13,000 men, women and children have been intercepted by the Libyan Coast Guard and returned to Libyan shores from the start of the year up to June 12th, a record number. Most are then placed in DCIM-run centres.

Tags: libyaLibyan GuardsMinor Migrants
Next Post

Presidential Council Hails Efforts to Reopen Coastal Road

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Libyan Court Clears Former Gaddafi Officials Of Charges Linked To 2011 Unrest

Libyan National Army Launches Largest Military Exercise

Renewed Security Unrest Reported in Libyan Capital, Tripoli

Rights Group Urges Libya to Release Detained Sudanese Refugees

Can Libya’s New Border Strategy Reshape Sahel Security?

Libya Fuel Crisis Concerns Grow Despite Official Denials

EDITOR PICKS

Libyan War Crimes Suspect Faces ICC Hearing Tomorrow

Libyan PM Demands Urgent NOC Briefing on 2026 Unified Spending Funds

Libya’s Benghazi Calls for Museum to Protect Heritage

Italian Appeals Court Releases Libyan Prisoner

Rights Group Urges Libya to Release Detained Sudanese Refugees

Egypt & Libya Reject Foreign Interference in Libyan Affairs

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR