Friday, August 29, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s Military Commission Blames Political Decisions For Delaying Mercenaries Withdrawal

March 9, 2022
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A member of Libya’s 5+5 Joint Military Commission (JMC), General Al-Fitouri Ghribel said that there may be an indefinite delay in withdrawing all mercenaries and foreign forces from the country.

Despite the promising progress made, the General attributed the reason for the delay to, “the current political division.”

“We were counting on holding elections that would result in unified authorities, so that the plans that we had laid out for the exit of mercenaries and foreign forces could begin to be implemented,” Ghribel told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper.

“Unfortunately the elections were obstructed by the current divided political bodies,” he added.

Ghribel explained that the JMC has completed its technical role, in coordination with the United Nations and regional actors. As well as Libya’s neighbours, and countries that have forces and mercenaries in Libya.

“We previously formed communication committees during both the Cairo, and Tunis meetings in November. We also visited the countries involved in the Libyan conflict, particularly Russia and Turkey, and informed them of the results of our meetings,” he explained.

“There would be an opportunity to expel the mercenaries, even by force, if a Parliament, a President, and a unified government were elected,” he concluded.

On Thursday, former Libyan Interior Minister, Fathi Bashagha was sworn in as the country’s new Prime Minister during a session at the Libyan Parliament, in the eastern city of Tobruk.

Bashagha took his oath of office after his government emerged from a confidence vote on Tuesday. 92 of the 101 lawmakers in attendance approved the decision, in a live broadcast from the city of Tobruk.

The outgoing Libyan Prime Minister of the Government of National Unity (GNU), Abdel-Hamid Dbaiba has previously warned that the appointment of a new interim government could lead to war and chaos in the country. He renewed his pledge to only hand power over to an elected government. He also announced a plan that is likely to be unrealistic, which is to hold elections in June.

Observers fear that Libya will return to having two opposing governments, threatening a resurgence of violence, and risking the nation’s vital oil sector.

An estimated 7,000 Syrian fighters are believed to remain in Libya, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR). A ceasefire agreement between Libya’s warring parties called for all foreign mercenaries to be withdrawn within three months of its signing in October 2020.

  • Libyan Parliament Demands Withdrawal Foreign Forces
  • Libya’s Military Commission in Turkey
  • Libyan Official Calls For Turkish Backed Mercenaries to Remain in Libya
  • Libyan MP Calls on Turkey to Withdraw Its Forces from Libya
  • When will Mercenaries in Libya Leave?
Tags: JMCJoint Military CommissionlibyamercenariesPolitical Decisions
Next Post

Libyan Embassy Evacuates Citizens From Ukraine

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

Libya’s Coast Guard Accused of Firing on Humanitarian Rescue Ship

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Hannibal Gaddafi Demands Justice After a Decade of “Unlawful” Detention in Lebanon

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

EDITOR PICKS

Libya Joins OIC Ministerial Meeting on Gaza

Benghazi Migration Office Deports 322 Migrants

Libya & US Hold Talks on Election Support

Libya Under EU Pressure After Ocean Viking Shooting Incident

Brazilian Exports to Libya Reach 422 Million Dollars

Fuel Shortages Force Bakery Closures in Libya’s Zliten

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR