On Monday the Prime Minister of the Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez Al-Sarraj issued a decision to create a new security apparatus, dubbed the ‘Stability Support Authority’ (SSA). He has assigned Abdel-Ghani Bilgasim Al-Kikli, known locally as “Ghaneiwa,” as head of the agency. As well as Ayoub Al-Amin Abu Ras, Hassan Muhammad Hassan Abu Zariba, and Musa Abu Al-Qassem Musa Masmus as the deputy heads of the agency.
According to Resolution No. 38 of the 2020, Al-Sarraj established the SSA, with a legal personality and an independent financial liability. It is directly affiliated with the GNA Presidency Council.
He explained that the agency will be run by its head and three deputies, with its headquarters is the city of Tripoli. It is also able to establish branches or offices for it in cities or other regions by a decision of the President, based on a proposal from the head of the SSA.
Tasks and specializations of the authority:
- Strengthening security measures to protect the official headquarters of the state from all security threats. As well as strengthening the protection of officials whenever necessary, in coordination and cooperation with the competent authorities.
- Participation in securing and protecting official celebrations and events, as well as popular activities, and the activities of civil society institutions authorized by the competent authorities.
- To participate whenever necessary in the implementation of combat operations, including raids and security pursuit operations, in coordination and cooperation with the competent authorities.
- Riot control and breakdown of clashes carried out by armed outlaws in cities and villages in cooperation with the security directorates, and the relevant agencies in the city.
- Implementing legal decisions, such as participating in arrests and prosecution of wanted persons in cases that threaten national security, in coordination with the security and judicial authorities.
- Spreading security awareness among the segments of society and adopting a culture of non-recourse to weapons, settling disputes through judicial, security and social bodies, and supporting programs to collect unlicensed weapons.
- Security cooperation and information exchange with all the relevant security agencies regarding combating all threats to national security and community stability.
- Contribute to facing crises and natural disasters.
- Any other tasks assigned to it by the Presidential Council, according to the legislation in force.
Terms of reference of the head of the agency:
- Determining the locations of the stationing of its units inside and outside Tripoli, taking into account the geographical and security provisions.
- Supervising the implementation of the plans necessary for the agency to carry out the tasks assigned to it.
- Direct supervision and follow-up of the agency’s members in order to implement the agency’s functions.
- Proposing the agency’s organizational structure, preparing the staffing, and referring it to the competent authorities for approval.
- Determining the needs of the authority from the airport, weapons, ammunition, vehicles and missions, and all equipment required to carry out the tasks and duties assigned to it. Take the necessary measures to provide them in accordance with the legislation in force.
- Issuing decisions related to the job affairs of the members of the agency within the limits of the powers granted to it in accordance with the legislation in force.
- Representing the agency in its relations with others and before the judiciary. The power to sign contracts in which the agency is a party in accordance with the legislation in force.
- Proposing the agency’s budget project, preparing estimates regarding it, and preparing the final account.
- Any other functions will be assigned to him in accordance with the legislation in force.
Article 6 of the same decision stipulates that the most senior deputy heads of the agency shall undertake the running of the authority’s affairs in case its president fails to carry out his duties.