Tuesday, May 19, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Germany & Egypt Discuss Libya Developments

May 27, 2021
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Egyptian President, Abdel-Fatah El-Sisi and German Chancellor, Angela Merkel exchanged views on the current developments in Libya, during a scheduled call between the two leaders.

According to the statement, El-Sisi reviewed Egypt’s efforts aimed at supporting the current transitional phase in Libya, leading to the elections in December. Chancellor Merkel praised Egypt’s role in the Libyan crisis, “which strengthened the course of the political process in Libya.”

During the call, the two leaders affirmed the importance of the departure of mercenaries and foreign forces from Libya. “The departure of foreign forces from Libya will enhance the smoothness and success of the transitional period, and contribute to meeting the aspirations of the Libyan people.” They also agreed to continue bilateral coordination in this regard, the statement concluded.

Earlier this month, Merkel told Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that the withdrawal of foreign troops from Libya would be an “important signal.”

“Merkel and Erdogan agreed to support the Government of National Unity (GNU) in preparing elections by year-end,” the German government spokesman said.

The GNU was elected in a UN-brokered peace process in February 2021. The government is set to lead the country until the December general elections.

Berlin is set to host a foreign ministers’ conference on Libya in June. In January 2020, the Berlin International Conference on Libya, at the invitation of Chancellor Merkel, gathered leaders of eleven countries, as well as the UN. They agreed to unify the country’s institutions, end foreign intervention, respect the UN arms embargo, and implement a ceasefire agreement.

In April, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported that the Turkish government sent a new batch of 380 Syrian mercenaries to Libya. “There are still more than 6,630 mercenaries in Libya, amid Turkish intentions to keep groups of Turkish-backed Syrian fighters in Libya to protect Turkish interests,” it noted.

Tags: Al-SisiEgyptgermanylibyamerkel
Next Post

Is the Muslim Brotherhood Seeking to Obstruct Libya’s Elections?

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Libyan Court Clears Former Gaddafi Officials Of Charges Linked To 2011 Unrest

Rights Group Urges Libya to Release Detained Sudanese Refugees

Italian Appeals Court Releases Libyan Prisoner

Egypt & Libya Reject Foreign Interference in Libyan Affairs

Libyan War Crimes Suspect Faces ICC Hearing Tomorrow

Libyan PM Demands Urgent NOC Briefing on 2026 Unified Spending Funds

EDITOR PICKS

ICC Approves 17 Charges Against Libyan Suspect Over Mitiga Prison Crimes

Libyan Officers Continue Training at Jordan Police Academy

Libyan War Crimes Suspect Faces ICC Hearing Tomorrow

Libyan PM Demands Urgent NOC Briefing on 2026 Unified Spending Funds

Libya’s Benghazi Calls for Museum to Protect Heritage

Italian Appeals Court Releases Libyan Prisoner

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR