Monday, May 18, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mass Grave Discovered in Libya’s Sirte

April 9, 2022
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Thursday, 11 unidentified bodies were found in a mass grave in the Libyan city of Sirte. A team affiliated with the General Authority for Searching and Identifying Missing Persons conducted the search, in coordination with the city’s prosecution.

The team transferred the bodies to Ibn Sina Hospital to take bone samples, to transfer to the commission’s laboratories. This was in coordination with a forensic medical team, before burying them.

Mayor of Sirte, Mukhtar Al-Madani held a meeting with the team. He affirmed his readiness to aid them in their assigned work in the city.

Fierce battles erupted in Sirte in 2016, before the elimination of IS, which had been in control of the city.

The Head of the UN Fact-Finding Mission on Libya, Mohamed Auajjar said last month that investigators had uncovered further evidence of serious rights violations, which they first made public in October.

“These abuses against migrants, refugees, and asylum seekers are detailed in a report which will be presented to the Council on Wednesday,” Auajjar said.

He added that his team’s findings include new information on “20 detention facilities, official and unofficial and secret prison networks that are allegedly controlled by armed militia”.

Libya is a major transit point for Africans seeking to make the perilous journey to Europe across the Mediterranean. Many instead find themselves enslaved by militias and traffickers, or forced into prostitution.

Several migrants told the UN that there were “mass graves” in the desert city of Bani Walid, with one testifying that he had buried three people himself.

  • Libya’s Al-Ittihad Defeat South Africa’s Orlando Pirates 3-2
  • Technical Team Arrives From India to Solve Power Cuts in Libya
  • UN Ceasefire Monitors Arrive in Benghazi
  • Libyan Military Official: We Can Suspend UN Monitoring Team if Violations Occur
  • Guterres Proposes Security Council to Approve Sending 60 Observers to Libya
Tags: libyaMass GraveSina HospitalSirte
Next Post

EU Praises Libya's Vote to Suspend Russia From UNHRC

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Can Libya’s New Border Strategy Reshape Sahel Security?

Libya Receives Additional US Dollar Shipment To End Foreign Currency Shortages

Libyan National Army Launches Largest Military Exercise

Libya Fuel Crisis Concerns Grow Despite Official Denials

Renewed Security Unrest Reported in Libyan Capital, Tripoli

Libyan Court Clears Former Gaddafi Officials Of Charges Linked To 2011 Unrest

EDITOR PICKS

Rights Group Urges Libya to Release Detained Sudanese Refugees

Egypt & Libya Reject Foreign Interference in Libyan Affairs

Libyan Court Clears Former Gaddafi Officials Of Charges Linked To 2011 Unrest

Libyan Parliament Speaker Praises Egypt’s Support for Libya

Libya Fuel Crisis Concerns Grow Despite Official Denials

Libya Restores Operations at Sebha International Airport

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR