Sunday, August 31, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UK Issues Arrest Warrant for Brother of Manchester Arena Bomber

August 3, 2022
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A UK court has issued an arrest warrant for Ismail Abedi, the brother of the Manchester Arena bomber after he failed to appear at the inquiry into the attack

Ismail, whose whereabouts are currently unknown refused to cooperate with the inquiry into the attack. He was initially supposed to appear at Manchester Magistrates’ Court in July, but did not turn up. He fled the UK in 2021, and has not returned.

A British Judge has found Salman Abedi’s older brother “guilty of failing without reasonable excuse to do something required at a hearing on 14 July.” He faces up to 51 weeks in jail for the offence, if he is captured or hands himself in.

A total of 22 people were killed and hundreds injured when his brother, Salman detonated a bomb at the end of an Ariana Grande concert on 22 May 2017.

Ismail was stopped by police at Manchester Airport on 28 August 2021. He told them he was planning to return to the country the following month – but never did.

His father, Ramadan was associated with the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), a militia that had links with Al-Qaida, the public inquiry heard.

Hashem Abedi, 24, was jailed for life for the 22 murders, by assisting with the bomb plot. Ismail has denied any involvement with the attack.

He previously said he did not want to attend the inquiry because he was “worried about the risk of self-incrimination, had already been questioned at length by the police, and was concerned for the safety of himself and his family.”

  • UK’s Youngest Coronavirus Victim is 13-Year Old Libyan
  • Libya’s Attorney General Issues Arrest Warrant for Bank Official
  • Libyan Prosecutor General Issues Arrest Warrants against GNA Officials
  • Libyan Attorney General Denies Issuing Arrest Warrant Against Kidnapped GNA Official
  • Manchester Arena bomber’s brother flees UK
Tags: libyaManchesterManchester ArenaManchester attackTerrorist
Next Post

Guterres Reiterates UN Support for Libyan Elections

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Is Dbaiba Preparing Tripoli for a New War?

UN Mission Warns of “Dangerous Escalation” in Libya’s Tripoli

Libyan Parliament Calls for Withdrawal of All Foreign Forces from Libya

Libyan MP Accuses Dbaiba of Fueling Conflict in Tripoli

Libyan Airlines Offers Compensation to Passengers over Istanbul–Tripoli Flight Cancellation

Military Convoys From Misrata Head to Tripoli Amid Rising Tensions

EDITOR PICKS

Libya Risks Nationwide Blackout Amid Fuel Crisis

Libya & Kurdistan Discuss Cooperation

Libyan Airlines Offers Compensation to Passengers over Istanbul–Tripoli Flight Cancellation

UN Mission Warns of “Dangerous Escalation” in Libya’s Tripoli

African Union Welcomes UN Roadmap to End Libya’s Crisis

Public Outrage as Dbaiba Ignores Libyan Children’s Pleas for Treatment

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR