Sunday, August 31, 2025
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The Guardian: Libya Aborted Plan to Hand Al-Senussi to US

December 23, 2022
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The British Newspaper “The Guardian” reported that the extradition of Abdullah Al-Senussi to the US was abruptly halted by Libya this week, for fear of public anger after the handover of another suspect.

In its Report, the Guardian noted that the US want Al-Senussi to answer questions connected to the attack which brought down a US-bound aircraft over Lockerbie in Scotland in 1988.

Earlier this month, the US announced that another Libyan suspect in the Lockerbie bombing, Abu Ajila Masoud was in its custody. Masoud was taken from his Tripoli home by armed men on 17 November, held for two weeks by a militia, and then handed over to US government agents in the port city of Misrata.

His family said he had been unlawfully abducted. In a statement on Tuesday, the US Embassy in Libya said the process had been “lawful and conducted in cooperation with Libyan authorities.”

The handover of Masoud has provoked outrage in Libya, putting the Government of National Unity (GNU) headed by Abdel-Hamid Dbaibe under severe pressure, and leading to the shelving of plans to transfer Al-Senussi to US custody.

According to the Guardian, a Libyan official source with knowledge of the case said that the idea was to have Masoud sent to the US first, and then give them Al-Senussi. “There have been discussions for months about this. But then officials got worried.”

Another official source told the Guardian that Al-Senussi was meant to be handed over, this weekend.

According to the Guardian, efforts to secure the two men were launched under Donald Trump’s administration. This has been revived over the last nine months, through discussions between US officials and the GNU. In August, an agreement about the transfer was reached with Dbaiba.

The GNU’s mandate expired in December, and the PM has a clear incentive to win favour with the US, analysts say.

The Guardian said that it is unclear if the transfer of Al-Senussi to the US has been shelved indefinitely, or merely postponed.

Tags: Abdel-Hamid DbaibaAbdullah Al-SenussilibyaThe guardianus
Next Post

IOM: 290 Migrants Repatriated from Libya to Mali & Sudan

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

UN Mission Warns of “Dangerous Escalation” in Libya’s Tripoli

Is Dbaiba Preparing Tripoli for a New War?

Libyan Airlines Offers Compensation to Passengers over Istanbul–Tripoli Flight Cancellation

Libya Risks Nationwide Blackout Amid Fuel Crisis

Spain Detains Cargo Ship Suspected of Carrying Weapons to Libya

Libyan Parliament Calls for Withdrawal of All Foreign Forces from Libya

EDITOR PICKS

Libya’s NOC Chief & US Envoy Discuss Energy Cooperation

NOC Reports Lower Oil & Gas Production in Libya

Heavy Rain & Thunderstorms Raise Flood Risk in Eastern Libya

Greece to Host Libyan Delegation for Maritime Negotiations

Spain Detains Cargo Ship Suspected of Carrying Weapons to Libya

Libya’s GECOL Reopens Gas Line to Prevents Nationwide Blackout in Libya

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR