Tuesday, May 19, 2026
LibyaReview
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
LibyaReview
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NGO’s to Protest Italy-Libya Memorandum

October 25, 2022
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Monday, forty international humanitarian organizations have planned demonstrations against the Italy-Libya memorandum, in Rome’s Esquilino square, on Wednesday

“If by 2 November the Italian government will not decide its suspension – the memorandum will be automatically renewed for another three years,” the NGO’s said.

The agreement has had dramatic consequences for thousands of migrants and refugees over the past five years. From 2017 to October 2022, nearly 100,000 people have been intercepted at sea by the Libyan Coast Guard, and forcibly taken back.

The organizations also asked the Italian government to “recognize its responsibility, and not renew agreements with Libya.”

The demonstration will be preceded by a press conference at the Sala Cristallo of the Nazionale Hotel. Participants will illustrate the consequences of the memorandum on people held in Libya, including abuse, arbitrary detention, and torture.

The NGO’s promoting the event include the Agency Habeshia, Alarm Phone, Amnesty International Italia, Centro Astalli, Fondazione Migrantes, Intersos, Doctors of the World Italy, Mediterranea, Doctors Without Borders, Open Arms, Oxfam Italia, Refugees Welcome Italia, ResQ – People Saving People, Save the Children, and Sea-Watch.

In 2012, Italy was condemned by the European Court of Human Rights for having pushed back people coming from Libya.

Since then, it has been frequently criticized by Amnesty International, and other human rights organizations, including the UN, and the EU.

The memorandum, “establishes radical outsourcing of the borders, installing a system of death on the borders, and in Libyan concentration camps,” the NGO’s said.

Numerous reports highlighting atrocities committed in Libya, financed by this agreement, are well known. Thousands of women, children, and men are trafficked, exploited, arbitrarily detained, tortured, and extorted.

  • NGO: 80 Migrants Stranded Off Libyan Coast
  • NGO Rescues 120 Migrants off Libyan Coast
  • Italian NGO Reiterates Call to Evacuate Migrants from Libya
  • ICC Asked to Investigate EU’s Migrant Pushbacks to Libya
  • German MP: NGO’s Cooperate with Human Traffickers in Libya
Tags: Humanitarian OrganizationItalylibyamigrantsRome
Next Post

Russia: "Situation in Libya a Concern"

POPULAR CATEGORIES

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

MUST READ

Italian Appeals Court Releases Libyan Prisoner

Bashagha Asks Libya’s Central Bank to Revalue Libyan Dinar Against Foreign Currency

Libyan PM Demands Urgent NOC Briefing on 2026 Unified Spending Funds

Libyan Court Clears Former Gaddafi Officials Of Charges Linked To 2011 Unrest

Libyan War Crimes Suspect Faces ICC Hearing Tomorrow

ICC Approves 17 Charges Against Libyan Suspect Over Mitiga Prison Crimes

EDITOR PICKS

German Ships Urged to Avoid Libyan Waters

ICC Approves 17 Charges Against Libyan Suspect Over Mitiga Prison Crimes

Libyan Officers Continue Training at Jordan Police Academy

Libyan War Crimes Suspect Faces ICC Hearing Tomorrow

Libyan PM Demands Urgent NOC Briefing on 2026 Unified Spending Funds

Libya’s Benghazi Calls for Museum to Protect Heritage

  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Economy
  • Sport
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

© 2024 LR